update #2

I remain exhausted but still wanted to let y'all know how things are going. It feels like there has been a lot of progress in the last week.

My car was removed from the "garage" yesterday. Yea! Hopefully I'll have a check for that by next week. We've done a bit more research and more test driving and I think we are narrowed down to two. Let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've car shopped with toddlers/preschoolers. Oh, did I mention that I had about 6 payments left on my old car? Isn't that the way it always goes?

I love our hotel. People are so nice and it doesn't feel weird staying here. Maybe it's because I've stayed in so many hotels over the last several years for work. It's really quiet, and I'm able to work fairly well here. It's obviously much smaller but that hasn't been a problem yet. And I have to say that I do enjoy that someone else cleans and cooks (at least several meals). Someone who isn't me. So I'm not sure what we'll do starting in March. We'll see what the options are.

We've interviewed several contractors and I think we've narrowed it down to two. We'll probably decide over the weekend. It does seem like everyone is thinking that it will be about 6 months to finish. And it will basically be a new house inside. And obviously a new garage.

Yesterday morning folks came to get our larger furniture that we'll have professionally cleaned. And last weekend we had so many people come to help pack things up to move to storage. And by that I mean sift through the good and the bad, clean everything, pack into boxes, load the truck. We even had some extra nice folks come with us to storage to unpack. I tell ya, people are nice. So we made tons of progress then. Hubby and I took off on Tuesday to get a little more done. Maybe one more good workday and we'll have all the salvageables out.

On Tuesday, a guy comes to help me inventory all the total loss items. It really isn't that bad. Well, except for the garage. My tip of the day is to take pictures of what's everywhere in your house AND garage. I have house pictures (I take them every year on the anniversary of our move-in date) but none of the garage. Sigh.

Everyone is still doing fine. The kids like the hotel. They say we could stay here a long time. They really are well behaved. Buns will remind us every time that we need to be quiet in the halls. And of course they love the elevator. I don't think I've wanted to stab people since the last update so that's good. One thing that is interesting to me to observe is that I'm annoyed when people ask how the fire started. I'm not sure why. It's a perfectly natural question that I would totally have done myself before this. I think even though it's not intended, I feel like there's an accusation there or something. I don't know. I'm defensive I guess. And perhaps I don't want to look back. I'm trying to focus on progress instead.

We're really back at work and that is making me a little insane. This is honestly the busiest time of the project and if I can just make it through this month I think I'll be ok. But I could use a sabbatical. There's so much to do. All. The. Time. Speaking of, I guess I better get back to it. Thanks again for all your help, concern, gifts, etc. It really is nice to have you in our lives.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?